Saturday 1 October 2011

International Thanksgiving

It took me a while to make friends here in Wales. It was weird, because while I wouldn't say I make good friends easily, it's never been as difficult for me as it was here. I think months went by before I had a real conversation with someone here about something other than where I was from and what my research was. The real turning point, I think, was Canadian Thanksgiving last year.

I invited some people I'd met so far, but didn't know particularly well, over to celebrate. I think at one point there were 10 people in my very small living room. Half of them had to bring their own plates, cutlery and glasses as I only have four place settings, and since I have a two seater couch, most people were sitting on the floor. Back in Edmonton I had an overly stocked kitchen and could have entertained 10 - 12 people without worrying about anything other than seating. Here, most things were served straight from the pans, and I used my Portuguese cow creamer as a gravy boat. I was so worried beforehand that the total lack of supplies and space would make a bad impression, but I think it had exactly the opposite effect.

As soon as the first person started laughing about just how unappetizing gravy coming out the mouth of a cow creamer was, everything changed; it was the first night I really felt like myself rather than like I was trying to make friends. Thankfully, the friendships I made that night have stuck to the point where I can't imagine what life would be like here without these people - they're a huge part of what makes Swansea a great place to live.

We're having our Thanksgiving dinner tonight, and smelling the turkey roasting in the oven reminded me of last year and what a fantastic time it was. This is my favourite holiday of them all, because apart from the general craziness of cooking and timing the meal, there is really no stress associated with this day. No presents to buy, usually no weather craziness to impede travel plans, and no multi-day family juggling olympics. Just family and friends getting together for one great, relaxing day to celebrate all the good things we've been given and the great people around us.

So Happy Thankgiving (in advance to everyone across the ocean!) from me and Jorge (my cow creamer) - I hope it's a fantastic day for all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I love that your cow creamer is named Jorge :) So how did this year's thanksgiving go? I wish I could have joined you. I miss our group thanksgivings in Edmonton! Did you serve sweet potatoes with marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete